How to use an Android TV as an Apple TV (the device, not the service)

jcags

If you don't have an Android TV, you probably should. They're better than your standard smart tv as they can offer any array of apps (streaming, games, emulators, web browsers), but enough about that.
Newer Android TVs can do this out of the box but they require your iDevice to be on at least iOS 11.4. For more info on those check this link.
For older devices like my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, both running iOS 6.1.3, the steps to are very simple:
  1. You need to have a flash drive with about 50 MB of free space.
  2. Download XBMC Gamebox from here, this was an illegal fork of XBMC (Kodi) that used to be sold shamelessly so don't feel bad about pirating it, besides it can no longer be bought through the Play Store.
  3. With your flashdrive plugged to the TV and the apk copied, use a file manager app to install the app you just downloaded, I personally use X-Plore, but you can use whichever file manager you like, alternatively you can use X-Plore's wifi sharing option if you don't have a flash drive lying around.
  4. Once the app is installed, launch it with Sideload Launcher or via the settings menu, keep the app open on your TV, let it update some of it's internal components and if it says to update to a newer version just ignore the message.
  5. On your iDevice double tap the home button to bring the multitask menu and swipe until you see the volume controls, there you'll notice an AirPlay button, tap it and you should see the airplay menu, select GBMC with the option to mirror your device's screen, just enable mirroring and tap done and there you have it, all of the Apple TV functionality on your Android TV. Keep in mind that both your Android TV and iDevice need to be on the same network.
dctu8agwczz41.png

g426lyexczz41.png

According to the guy who made it this app supports iOS 7 and 8, I've been able to test it with iOS 6 and it works pretty much flawlessly, I also tried with iOS 9 to no avail. In theory, it should work on iOS 5-8. Keep in mind that very few games ever used Airplay functionality back then, so most games will be mirrored which forces your iDevice to render the same screen twice, Injustice Gods Among Us lagged horribly on both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S because those devices weren't all that powerful by the time Injustice came out. If you know of simpler ways to achieve this, let me know.

Last edited: