Hello! Resurrecting an iPad1 for GPS!

NovaElement

Thank you all for putting together such a great resource for legacy iOS devices! I found the forum after coming across my old iPad1 64gb 3G running iOS5.1.1, the ultimate configuration (at the time)! It was given to me by an acquaintance (when it was already outdated) so it sat collecting dust for a while. I finally got around to learning about jailbreaking and executed it properly on my device. I am now trying to scrounge whatever apps I can for it.

The initial intent was to see what I could get out of the GPS, since it would be a shame to let it go to waste. I intend to use it as a roadtrip planner/tracker and backcountry exploration.

I have managed to get a few legacy navigation apps working with some success. Apple Maps is functioning well (not too surprised there, or maybe I should be). Google maps I have working, but it's very cropped, unfortunately. Avenza Maps (then called simply PDF Maps) is perfectly usable, minus the ease of re-downloading pre-purchased maps (have to search manually in the store, but purchases/accounts are maintained). Maps.Me is mostly functional, but has issues downloading maps (I believe the version of the app is pointing to an old server address). I will be attempting to upload them to the device manually as they are available for download separately.

I'm still on the hunt for legacy version of:
  • Gaia GPS (Classic, maybe?. oldest version I can find req. iOS6)
  • OsmAnd
  • Guru Maps (formerly Galileo)
  • A good topographical mapping app with route tracking
Thanks again for putting this together, and I'll be sure to share whatever I can find!