Cracking Your Collection

Discussion in 'Guides/How To's' started by Doggybuns, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Doggybuns

Doggybuns Member

Have you ever downloaded/installed legacy applications only to find out that they are locked to an iTunes account?

This due to sharing encrypted ipa files, or backups from iTunes/IPA installer. In order to share your legacy apps so that others may install them on their jailbroken iDevice, you need to properly "crack" them, or more precisely decrypt them.

There are two main tools for doing this right from your device: Rasticrac and Clutch. Current releases for both have abandoned legacy support, but fortunately, Clutch is open-sourced and document releases.

Note about Rasticrac: According to the internet this tool is supposed to be the best for decryption, but since it is closed source the only way to install it is through the appcake repo which installs many iOS 8 dependencies and does not work from my testing.
    Moderator edit (3/16/20): Rasticrac is available for download on the Momentum Dev Repo (http://repo.mtmdev.org)

Requirements: MobileTerminal, Clutch, iFile

If you are on iOS 6 or below head over to the github release page. The last stable release is 1.4.6 which still supports legacy versions (For iOS 5 and below I believe 1.4.3 works the best, but I do not have a device to test).

If you are iOS you need safari download manager or a downloader application. Just click on the Clutch-1.4.6 link. It should automatically download, and should not have an extension.

Navigate to where you downloaded the file:
    Photo Dec 15, 9 50 45 PM.png

To edit properties click on the blue arrow next to the file name. Feel free to change its name to something shorter as you will be typing it in MobileTerminal a lot. Also make sure all properties are set to executable:
    Photo Dec 15, 9 51 30 PM.png Photo Dec 15, 9 51 12 PM.png

Move this file to "/usr/bin/"
    You should see a bunch of other extensionless files.
    Photo Dec 15, 9 59 16 PM.png

Now we can begin decrypting!

For this tutorial I will be cracking MangaReader, a free app removed by Apple a few years ago.
    Photo Dec 15, 10 02 28 PM.png

Open the MobileTerminal application and type:
    Code:
    su root

This gives you root privileges so you need to input your password (you wont see it being typed). The default password is
    Code:
    alpine
    It is highly recommended that you change your root password. To do this type
    Code:
    passwd
    (It should be memorable and not complicated just not the default)

Next type
    Code:
    clutch -C
    or whatever you named the file followed by a capital "C" to configure clutch.
    Photo Dec 15, 10 04 43 PM.png

To keep the default configuration value listed just hit return. For the direction to place IPA's just hit enter, custom directories are very buggy. I suggest to use a number based system. For the email you can enter anything you want.

Important: Use native zipping, otherwise you get an error.

Once you are done, just type
    Code:
    clutch
    (or whatever you named your file. You should see a numbered list off your non-cracked applications:
    Photo Dec 15, 10 17 29 PM.png

Slide on the right side of the screen to scroll up or down.

To crack and app type
    Code:
    clutch
    (or file name) followed by the number of the application. So for me
    Code:
    clutch 16
    Photo Dec 15, 10 19 38 PM.png Photo Dec 15, 10 20 34 PM.png

Once it is done you should see the cracked ipa file in the designated directory.

That's all! :) I hope this tutorial was clear enough. Please share you apps and enjoy cracked apps from others!

Note: The apps you're cracking must be tied to your appleid or else you will get a error.

#1 Doggybuns, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2020
    vGuy, Kyoshiro972, None and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cipher

Cipher Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Added that note just in case

Doggybuns likes this.
  3. powerwolf101

powerwolf101 New Member

how do i backup my apps on my iphone 4?

4. bugmenot

bugmenot admins acknowledge your presence

Rasticrac is not closed source! it's just a script that uses dumpdecrypted to decrypt binaries. you can view/edit script with text editor.