Not Working Messenger (v2.7.2, iOS 6 Patched)

Marley QP

Tested on iPhone 4s running iOS 6.1.3
This app has been modified using iFile so that conversations sync on iOS 6. The only changes are updating the version number from 2.7.2 to 111.0. Aside from this, the application is unchanged.
Credits & thanks to member av709 for the patch tutorial.
Photos dont send and calls fail but other than that its working fine

Ad3s12

ok wtf, it started working for 20mins and then it died again

"There was a problem connecting to facebook. Please check your connection and try again"

Im connected to wifi

soulboogie

I've got this installed on a few devices and push notifications come through straight away on all of them.

The problem I have is that periodically Facebook does something that causes this (and all Messenger versions up to 53.0) to go down. Something in the API must have changed in version 54.0 because that carries on working when everything below goes down. Sometimes this can last just a few hours, but most recently it quit working for over a week last month prompting me to post on here and on Reddit. It's extremely annoying as I'm using it on my daily driver (iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1).

Screenshot from last month's debacle:
onXILtI.png
Same problem. Worked for a few days but now getting the error saying there is a problem connecting to facebook.

soulboogie

Same problem. Worked for a few days but now getting the error saying there is a problem connecting to facebook.
Started getting the error right after facebook added the Cross-platform messaging with instagram. Once I accepted the "what's new" prompts on a fully update app this messenger started working on my iphone 4s. Could just be coincidence but figured I'd mention it.

Ad3s12

I found out how to fix messenger on ios 6, a little bit.
Download latest messenger app, then change version in info.plist to 160.0

av709

I found out how to fix messenger on ios 6, a little bit.
Download latest messenger app, then change version in info.plist to 160.0
That doesn't fix the connection problem that some people are experiencing, it only gets around the artificial block that stops any conversations loading. I've had the version values set to160.0 for years, the "problem connecting to Facebook" issue has been an intermittent problem for some time, but it permanently stopped working for me in mid-November. I just use Messenger on Puffin browser now.

Even the Facebook app itself is incredibly unstable these days, crashes on Newsfeed sometimes and hangs for several minutes when loading groups/pages.

Messenger version 54.0 & above are unaffected, and as iOS 7 can run up to version 84.0, it along with later iOS versions don't have this problem.

Ad3s12

w
That doesn't fix the connection problem that some people are experiencing, it only gets around the artificial block that stops any conversations loading. I've had the version values set to160.0 for years, the "problem connecting to Facebook" issue has been an intermittent problem for some time, but it permanently stopped working for me in mid-November. I just use Messenger on Puffin browser now.

Even the Facebook app itself is incredibly unstable these days, crashes on Newsfeed sometimes and hangs for several minutes when loading groups/pages.

Messenger version 54.0 & above are unaffected, and as iOS 7 can run up to version 84.0, it along with later iOS versions don't have this problem.
Hm, maybe, but it just works for me with that version, so i shared it here, i didnt know that its so old, its a server problem.

Last edited:

Ad3s12

Quick update, 160.0 stopped working recently, so i changed ver number to 255.0 and it still works, lol

av709

The version from the appstore doesn't seem to even have a proper CFBundleShortVersionString, it's just 6.1
That's correct, the last compatible version of Messenger for iOS 6 is version 6.1. In my case Messenger stopped working completely for me in November. It's not a spoofing issue, they've actually broken it somehow on their end. To make matters worse, they've even done away with Messenger on Facebook web so there is no way at all that I can message people on Messenger with iOS 6. As others have said, notifications still work so you can read messages but not respond. Thanks Facebook!

iOS6model25a

Any Fix? Older versions of Facebook and Messenger started breaking when Facebook started forcing their new desktop layout and redirecting older browsers to m.facebook.com. This started happening in October-November.
Edit: I can send messages but cannot actually see the conversations.

Last edited: