Hey!

fv0485

Hi guys, i'm on a quest to make my 1st gen ipad useful again, and this forum looks like a good place to start. Greetings from Italy!
EDIT: do someone have a browser for ios 5.1.1 that supports html5 protocol? i'm in desperate need of one!

Last edited:

NijiLink

Hey there, welcome! Hope you can find the apps you need for your iPad. I have the same device and it's been quite fun to find out what you can still do on it.

Just out of interest, what apps and games are you interested in?

fv0485

My journey started when I remembered about mirrors edge for iOS, a game I always used to play. During that time, when I was constantly trying to download the game back, i found all my other old games and other apps, and so i decided to download all them back. Some days ago I thought about "revitalizing" my ipad by installing today apps such as netflix or spotify, because it would've been a shame to throw away my device, so here i am! If you want, i can share you my ipa archive.

NijiLink

Oh gosh, I remember playing Mirror’s Edge on my HTC HD2 running Windows Phone 7 back in the day! It was pretty good for a phone game. One of the most fun phones I’ve ever owned too, by the way. Flashing all kinds of operating systems on there, great times...

It’s been quite a surprise for sure, but the iPad 1 is certainly quite a bit more useable than I thought it would be. And with great classics like GTA III and games you wouldn’t be able to play on 64-bit iOS anymore, it makes for a pretty fun retro entertainment device.

What worries me about this locked-down approach Apple took with the iDevices, is that games you’re able to download may not be available in the future. In fact, it seems like some app ipa’s have already been lost in time due to being deleted from every file sharing site (Instapaper 4.0, for example). It’s part of digital history, and that’s why preservation is so important. Luckily this website seems to do a pretty good job in that regard.

fv0485

Oh yeah, my iPad (at least) can hold all of my old applications. Using it as a retro entertainment machine as you said is pretty good, and adding things like netflix and maybe, if i manage to make it work, amazon prime video makes it a perfect media station, giving the fact that netflix runs as smooth as on my pc. What a shame though, i gotta say that my ipad intrigues me for being this open compared to modern iDevices. I consider myself lucky for finding this website, it has everything that I need. Fortunately, i have some "good" premium games of the time, my dad bought some of them lol. If you want, i can share them with you

NagyAttilaORG

Welcome on board guys!

In my opinion and last months experience I think the iPad 2 is the best retro iPad ever. The first one is special because of the first Apple tablet but the iPad 2 is powerful, easier and looks gorgeus. Can run wide variates of games and they run really nice.

iPad 1 is always in my heart like the first iPhone but they are not the best retro machines for iOS gaming experience.

NijiLink

Welcome on board guys!

In my opinion and last months experience I think the iPad 2 is the best retro iPad ever. The first one is special because of the first Apple tablet but the iPad 2 is powerful, easier and looks gorgeus. Can run wide variates of games and they run really nice.

iPad 1 is always in my heart like the first iPhone but they are not the best retro machines for iOS gaming experience.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

That may be true, but I got this iPad 1 for free a week ago and it'd be a shame not to use it while it still works. I can't be too bothered with ponying up the money for an iPad 2 right now as I also own an iPad (2018) and a Tab S5e. Maybe later, who knows?

What do you mean by easier? Easier to jailbreak? Because I've found this particular tablet to be very easy too in that regard, although I must say I do have lots of experience with Unix-based operating systems and there's not much that I think is hard anymore.
The Checkra1n jailbreak, back when it only ran on macOS, was much harder than this IMO. It had you configure QEMU within Linux to use IOMMU, which enabled macOS to access your USB hardware directly from within a virtual machine. You also needed a relatively recent processor for that as it had to support VT-d.

However, if you mean easier to find apps for, yes that's true. Like I said, finding the right versions of IPA files is getting increasingly difficult and it's the reason why archiving these is so important.

NagyAttilaORG

Thanks for the warm welcome!

That may be true, but I got this iPad 1 for free a week ago and it'd be a shame not to use it while it still works. I can't be too bothered with ponying up the money for an iPad 2 right now as I also own an iPad (2018) and a Tab S5e. Maybe later, who knows?

What do you mean by easier? Easier to jailbreak? Because I've found this particular tablet to be very easy too in that regard, although I must say I do have lots of experience with Unix-based operating systems and there's not much that I think is hard anymore.
The Checkra1n jailbreak, back when it only ran on macOS, was much harder than this IMO. It had you configure QEMU within Linux to use IOMMU, which enabled macOS to access your USB hardware directly from within a virtual machine. You also needed a relatively recent processor for that as it had to support VT-d.

However, if you mean easier to find apps for, yes that's true. Like I said, finding the right versions of IPA files is getting increasingly difficult and it's the reason why archiving these is so important.

I mean lighter, the weight, you know. Sorry for my english.

yeah, the correct version of IPA’s or deb files for Cydia can be hard, that is why we are archiving everything. Now I have some experience with iPhone’s to 5, 5s and iPad’s to mini 3 or Air.

anyway the first iPad can be a nice device too. Just enjoy it, Pal!

Luke81

Oh yeah, my iPad (at least) can hold all of my old applications. Using it as a retro entertainment machine as you said is pretty good, and adding things like netflix and maybe, if i manage to make it work, amazon prime video makes it a perfect media station, giving the fact that netflix runs as smooth as on my pc. What a shame though, i gotta say that my ipad intrigues me for being this open compared to modern iDevices. I consider myself lucky for finding this website, it has everything that I need. Fortunately, i have some "good" premium games of the time, my dad bought some of them lol. If you want, i can share them with you

Please, if you could share some old games, would be amazing.
I also have some apps I would like to add to the collection in here, but do not know how.