Not Working Messenger (v2.7.2, iOS 6 Patched)

Tested on iPhone 4s running iOS 6.1.3
This app has been modified using iFile so that conversations sync on iOS 6. The only changes are updating the version number from 2.7.2 to 111.0. Aside from this, the application is unchanged.
Credits & thanks to member av709 for the patch tutorial.

Attachments

• Messenger (v2.7.2, iOS 6 Patched).ipa
    15.4 MB · Views: 1,524

animeking9901

Good news is that it does still work for existing coversations(groups too!). No profile pictures but that's alright. last version for ios 7.1.2 lagged like heck so i swapped out and i couldn't be more pleased

Good news is that it does still work for existing coversations(groups too!). No profile pictures but that's alright. last version for ios 7.1.2 lagged like heck so i swapped out and i couldn't be more pleased
Actually I noticed recently that you can’t send photos. It’s not fully working.. sorry

av709

Sending images broke about 6 months ago, but it affects lots of older Messenger clients not just 2.7.2. Certainly the last compatible version for iOS 6 doesn't send images either. Profile pictures still display for me on the main page, but I know a couple of people who changed their profile pic recently and this is not reflected in the app, so it must be broken and the existing images cached locally.

Edit: Be careful with new conversations, I know the sent message disappears and the app shows "no participants" but as far as I can tell they do actually send and will appear in your conversation list if you refresh the app.

Last edited:

NukiDuki

Receiving messages works on iOS 6, iPhone 4S. Can't send images. Some profile pictures load, whilst others not. Side bar profile pictures work perfectly. Thank you for releasing this IPA.

Last edited:

av709

I'm pleased to report that sending images is now working again using this version!

Edit: they're failing to send again now. I'll report back if I can get it to work reliably but clearly the potential is there.

Last edited:

NukiDuki

I re-installed the IPA, and if you're quick enough, you can send one photo to anyone on messenger. After that, broken.

av709

I installed mine over a year ago and it's been like that since. But on Thursday I was able to send 3 photos at once to someone, then 10 minutes later I sent one photo to someone else. After that it started failing again. It's a bit strange to say the least!

av709

Anyone else having problems with this in the last couple of days? Hangs on "Updating" or says "There was a problem connecting to Facebook". It went down on Monday or Tuesday, came back for a bit on Wednesday but it's dead again for me on all my devices right now, not just this app affected but all ≤iOS 6 Messenger versions. This has been a semi-regular event in the last few years but not usually for this long.
Posted on Reddit too here.

Further info if anyone cares: I've been testing different Messenger clients on my iPhone 4 (iOS 7) to see which ones are affected. All versions up to and including 53.0 have this problem and don't work for me. 54.0 onwards works fine. Since iOS 7 can run up to version 84.0 of Messenger, it's unaffected, just iOS 6 and below.

Update:: Dare I say it, fixed as of today. Working normally on all my devices for the past few hours. Better not be an April fool's stunt!

Last edited:

NukiDuki

Glad to say still working fine, I might try look for a patch to fix the image issue
Thank you. Another problem for me is push notifications. I get them late, usually ~10 minutes after the message was sent to me. I'm not sure if this is the case with everyone.

av709

I've got this installed on a few devices and push notifications come through straight away on all of them.

The problem I have is that periodically Facebook does something that causes this (and all Messenger versions up to 53.0) to go down. Something in the API must have changed in version 54.0 because that carries on working when everything below goes down. Sometimes this can last just a few hours, but most recently it quit working for over a week last month prompting me to post on here and on Reddit. It's extremely annoying as I'm using it on my daily driver (iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1).

Screenshot from last month's debacle:
onXILtI.png

NukiDuki

I've got this installed on a few devices and push notifications come through straight away on all of them.

The problem I have is that periodically Facebook does something that causes this (and all Messenger versions up to 53.0) to go down. Something in the API must have changed in version 54.0 because that carries on working when everything below goes down. Sometimes this can last just a few hours, but most recently it quit working for over a week last month prompting me to post on here and on Reddit. It's extremely annoying as I'm using it on my daily driver (iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1).

onXILtI.png
I have not experienced this before. Weird.

Andyp1230

onXILtI.png

This happens quite occasionally I'm afraid. Just in the morning I logged in successfully but tried updating the app and got the same error like you, can't connect to Fb and "Updating" the conversation. Push notifications still work though.